MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL
Back Row: Alderman Warden, Alderman Johnston, Alderman Yusuf, Alderman Cosens, Alderman Campbell
Front Row: Alderman Kohler, Mayor Jackson, Alderman Baldwin-Sands
2010-2014 Council Contact List
Council Appointments and Committees
St. Thomas City Council is comprised of seven Aldermen plus the Mayor. All council members are elected by the 'at large' system, whereby councillors are elected on a citywide basis, with each voter casting a ballot for multiple council candidates.
Regular meetings of the Council are held in the Council Chambers on the first, second and third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. local time, unless otherwise ordered by a resolution of the Council, or unless such day be a public holiday, in which case the Council shall meet on the next following day not being a public holiday.
The Council may hold only one regular meeting during each of the months of July and August. Scheduled dates for July and August 2013 are as follows: July 15, 2013 and August 12, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
Copies of the Minutes and Agendas for all council meetings are available online.
The members of Council in addition to their responsibilities as appointed members to outside Boards and Ad Hoc Committees, chair the seven Standing Committees of Council, which are:
- Finance & Administration
- Social Services including Housing, Homes for the Aged and Ontario Works
- Community Services including Parks & Recreation
- Environmental Services including Public Works and Transportation
- Personnel & Labour Relations
- Planning & Development
- Protective Services
The work of the Committees is done in Committee of the Whole. The Chair of the Standing Committee serves as an important liaison between the Department Head and Council.
The administrative structure is served by a CAO and Management Team comprised of all the major Department Heads. The Team meets two times monthly or more often as required. This Team through the Departments executes Council policy and makes recommendations on items referred to it by Council.
City Council - Role and Responsibilities
The Members of Council upon being elected make the prescribed declaration of office and oath of allegiance. It is the duty of Council to attend all meetings of the Council and of such Committees of the Council and of the local boards and commission to which the Council appoints them, except as they may be properly excused. The Municipal Act 2001, section 224, states these roles for council:
- To represent the public and to consider the well-being and interests of the municipality;
- To develop and evaluate the policies and programs of the municipality;
- To determine which services the municipality provides;
- To ensure that administrative practices and procedures and controllership policies, practices and procedures are in place to implement the decisions of council;
- To ensure the accountability and transparency of the operations of the muncipality, including the activities of the senior management of the municipality;
- To maintain the financial integrity of the municipality; and
- To carry out the duties of council under this or any other Act.