The City of St. Thomas is proud to offer a full scale organics collection program to its residents.
The Green Cart is collected on garbage day on a bi-weekly basis. Green Cart collection occurs on the opposite week as blue box collection. Please refer to the Collection Routes to determine your correct day and what schedule to follow for organics and blue box collection (A or B Schedule). Once you have determined your day and schedule follow along with the Collection Schedule.
The articles and information below will help to make it easy for everyone to do their part for our environment.
2012 Leaf Collection Schedule
Helpful Green Cart Tips
Organics Origami; make a Green Cart liner out of newspaper
Green Cart Set Out Requirements
- Cart must be to curbside by 7:00am on your collection day
- Cart must be within 1 meter (3 feet) of the travelled portion of the road
- The lid of the cart must be completely closed
- Cart and contents can not exceed 100 lbs
- Only material in the 64 gallon Compostainer cart will be collected. Excess
organic material outside of the cart in bags/bundles will not be collected
- Material should be loose inside the cart. Plastic bags will not be accepted
- Only bags with the Biodegradable Products Institute logo will be accepted
Acceptable Green Cart Materials
- Yard Waste
- Brush (no longer than 40cm(15in.) and have a diameter no larger than 5cm (2in.)
- Flowers (fresh or dried)
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Grains (pasta, bread, cereal)
- Dairy Products(cheese, yogurt)
- Pet Waste & litter
- Coffee Grounds & Filters
- Tea Bags
- Egg Shells
- Meat (including bones)
- Soiled Pizza Boxes
- Paper drink trays
- Used tissues and paper towel
The green cart is the property of BFI and is to remain with the property to which it was assigned. The cart is a chattel of the property and is not to be removed. The City or BFI Canada Inc. is not responsible for the replacement of a lost or stolen cart.